Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chakra Pe bakra. Aka Suma (delicate) to Sumo

At last the trip was finalized, yet I was skeptical about the itinerary. Is this island, worthy of 5 days of our vacation? Do I need to book for excursions to other islands? Will I be able to provide memorable vacation for my family? My mind was rattled with emotional commotion. All my apprehensions seemed to have dissipated by the heat of this beautiful tropical island.

The resort was beautiful and apotheosis (ideal example) of perfect requiescence (A state of quiescence; rest; repose). The lobby was large and the commanding view of the vast Atlantic Ocean was magnetically enticing. Soft and soothing breeze was seducing us to the beach on the resort. “Do you want us to use the credit card on record?”the affable voice of the receptionist brought me back to the mollifying lounge. We checked in to the room, which was oceanfront. It set the pace for rest of our vacation. “It is beautiful daddy!”, said my eldest one, leaning on my shoulder. As I was priding myself, I felt someone was pinching me repeatedly! I thought it was Radha. She was engrossed in enjoying the enthralling views of Atlantic. Whereas, mindless mosquitoes were mercilessly marauding my blood. I was prepared. I immediately wore the medicated mosquito repellant band. They were amused and began to focus around the band instead of rest of the body. I was very soon thrashing myself and ended up with bumps and bruises.

Radha realized that the enchanting beauty should be shared with me. She turned around and was flabbergasted. How could I get so many hickies? She thought. She looked around ferociously for the perpetrator and I pointed her to the beguiling band. It is an arthropod allurer specially sold at CVS. The bewitching beauty of the resort and island made the mosquito menace a miniscule issue.

We explored the island with Lety. She showed us some historic places and beautiful beaches in her huge minivan. Roads were perhaps built for one person to walk, but Lety managed to navigate her truck size minivan with impeccable dexterity. Other faster alternative would have been-training under Tarzan, jumping from tree to tree. We immensely enjoyed the serene atmosphere on the island and decided to explore the main island in 36 hours. We flew in a small 6 seater plane. We were seated by weight and no one dared to sneeze or cough after the flight took off, lest it might disturb the delicate balance in midair. No one took chances! Ride was comfortable. It flew low over the ocean giving us a panoramic view of the turquoise waters, but I found everyone was focused upon finding the life jackets beneath their seats. Before they could retrieve, they had a reprieve as the plane glided on to the runway.

Renting a car was no brainer but for driving, we needed a trainer. All the signs were non-English. You do not know if the sign says east or west as they are spelled so similarly. If you are a fresher, use the right lane but, if you are a thinker-then left lane (lost in thoughts and oblivious to the minimum speed limits). But, if you want to pass, you may use the shoulder. Yes, it is complex in a simple way! We were told not to use the express lane at the toll as it is meant for ez-pass holders. So, we comfortably avoided that lane, but ended up in cash only lane. To make it simply complicated it was the lane for exact change. I threw a quarter and it wanted more, how much more? I had no clue. I found one more quarter and threw it in to the receptacle. It was not satisfied. I had no more change, I threw a dollar note, it gulped it down but did not register any transaction. Drivers behind me became restless and started honking. I was flustered and everyone in the car exhorted me to throw one more dollar note. I did, but to no avail. The honking increased to a ferocious level. I was nervous and I could not go back as cars were blocking me and no savior in sight. I was frantic and decided to something and started to remove my socks and shoes to throw them in to the money mongering monster. Fortunately, my kids found some dimes and nickels and that seemed to have satisfied the fastidious appetite for change. The gate opened, the honking dampened, seat belt fastened, anxiety lessened and speed heightened. I was saved of losing my garments. Wow! Study before your sojourn and verify (signs) before you venture in a foreign place. Phew! to be continued.....

1 comment:

  1. '' The gate opened, the honking dampened, seat belt fastened, anxiety lessened and speed heightened ''.........your writing skills made us enlightened ! I too can feel the enchanting beauty of that island........through your summation of discription !
    waiting for your continuetion !

    ReplyDelete